Description of Role
The Library Assistant performs support activities involved in operating a library by assisting the professional librarians to follow established policies and procedures. He/she works in both technical and user services. The user services work is directly with the student population to help them find the information needed and technical services is assisting them to acquire and prepare material for use. The Library Assistant will perform routine general library work and may acquire proficiency in only one or in both of the general specialized areas of the library work and may be required to work on special projects.
- Five (5) subjects at the CXC level inclusive of English and Mathematics
- At least three (3) years’ experience in a similar position
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, transcription and other office procedures and terminology.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent Time Management skills
- Capability to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- The ability to work as part of a team but also on his/her own initiative.
- The ability to think logically