Laboratory Technician (Science)
Description of Role
The Laboratory Technician working in the Faculty of Science provides support to lecturers in the faculty. His/her tasks involve supporting the work of science teachers/lecturers and their students to ensure that they make the best use of the time they spend in the laboratory; use equipment safely and accurately to record the results of work being undertaken.
The incumbent will provide technical support, ensuring that equipment is functioning properly and is ready for use and that the right materials are available for particular lessons. He /she will work closely with students to explain or demonstrate experiments on how to use equipment as well as helping Lecturers with a class and supporting individual students on research projects.
- A minimum of a Laboratory Technology Certificate/Diploma
- Preferably a Bachelor’s Degree that has a technical, IT or scientific element.
- Experience in providing demonstrations and writing technical reports;
- Strong practical and organizational skills.
- A good scientific and technical background with strong IT skills.
- The ability to learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems;
- Good hand and eye coordination and the ability to use technical equipment with accuracy;
- The ability to maintain and calibrate technical equipment;
- Flexibility in order to work with and provide support for a number of people.
- Excellent Time Management and record keeping skills.
- Excellent oral communication and team work skills.
- Pay attention to details.