Lecturer – Physics, Biology
Description of Role
These positions are responsible for providing services aimed at enhancing the efficient academic output and administration of The Mico University College.
Specifically, the lecturer will be responsible for performing the following functions:
- Deliver a range of modules/courses at various levels in areas allocated by the Head of Department;
- Teach using a range of delivery methods, including lectures, seminar leadership and one-to-one coaching/tutoring, that incorporate instructional technologies, where applicable;
- Provide lectures, make presentations, and host seminars and tutorials in support of the required teaching obligations;
- Contribute to the development and delivery of new and innovative modules/courses and degrees, ensuring that the contents are in accordance with equal opportunities; research findings; departmental objectives; and local, regional and international norms and expectations; and are reflective of student feedback, student needs, current best practices and trends;
- Participate in programme review/evaluation through the self-study process.
- Supervise or assist with student research at the undergraduate, and/or graduate level;
- Undertake independent research projects and actively contribute to the institution’s research profile;
- Support and comply with the institution and departmental quality assurance standards and procedures; and
- Provide pastoral care and personal support to students.
- Carry out any other duties commensurate with the grade and purpose of the post.
- A least a master’s or terminal degree in the related field, or equivalent research record or recognized standing in and contribution to a professional discipline preferred. (A terminal degree in the area of specialization would be an asset)
- Teacher-training certificate from an accredited institution
- A minimum of five years’ teaching experience
- Experience in the related area.
- Membership in a professional organization
- Evidence of continuing professional development in the respective subject area
- Strong depth and breadth of subject understanding.
- Understanding of pedagogical and andragogical approaches to instruction and learning
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a collaborative work Environment.
- Competence in teaching and assessing across the range of taught levels offered.
- Ability to contribute to curriculum development.
- Ability and willingness to support students in their study through academic counselling.
- Ability to supervise students engaged in research.
- Good organizational and time-management skills.