Practicum / Industry Supervisor
Description of Role
The Practicum/Industry Supervisor will ensure that he/she is in possession of current guidelines and documents related to the supervision and assessment of the Practicum. He/she will provide pre-practicum consultation with their assigned student-teachers to include requirements for each component of the practicum, assessment instruments, expectations regarding planning, teaching-learning environments, selection of instructional resources, professional deportment, participation in the school community and any other relevant area.
He/she will plan supervisory visits to include introductions and consultation with the Principal, Vice Principal and/or Cooperating Teacher/Industry Supervisor and will serve as coach/mentor to the student- teacher by devising ways to encourage growth in his/her ability to plan to meet the needs of the children/industry, facilitate meaningful learning and manage the behavior of students.
- A master’s or terminal degree in the related field, or equivalent research record or recognized standing in and contribution to a professional discipline preferred. ( A terminal degree in the area of specialization is preferred)
- Teacher-training certificate or industry based certification from an accredited institution
- A minimum of five years’ teaching experience or work related industry experience
- Experience in the related area.
- Membership in a professional organization
- Evidence of continuing professional development in the respective subject area
- Strong depth and breadth of subject understanding.
- Understanding of pedagogical and andragogical approaches to instruction and learning
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a collaborative work Environment.
- Competence in teaching and assessing across the range of taught levels offered.
- Ability and willingness to support students in their study through academic counselling.
- Ability to plan and organize effectively.
- Ability to supervise students engaged in research.