Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching
The Post Graduate Diploma is designed to promote excellence in pedagogy and andragogy by equipping participants with the requisite skills, knowledge and dispositions of trained graduates who are change agents in education. The courses in the programme cover topical issues in educational theory and the design, delivery and evaluation of curricula. The Programme also offers participants opportunities to undertake practicum in schools and related institutions. The programme is ideal for those who are have earned qualification in a subject matter but who are professionally unqualified or underqualified in teaching. With this Post Graduate Diploma, participants will be qualified to teach at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
Holders of this qualification are able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theoretical and practical underpinnings of education
- Understand the implications of human exceptionalities/diversities within institutions
- Demonstrate digital literacy in lesson preparation and delivery
- Apply higher order thinking to problem solving in the classroom
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of pedagogy and andragogy by designing context specific curricula with effective teaching and learning methodologies, assessment strategies and evaluation models
- Use a wide range of teaching/learning strategies to cater to students in different contexts
- Display an appreciation for lifelong learning through continuous research and engagement in training
- Demonstrate the intellectual qualities of the reflective practitioner
- Display professional conduct in the work environment both in teams and individually
- Display an affinity to adjust/adopt to change and challenges in varying circumstances.
Mode of Delivery
The programme will be delivered fully online in January 2020 and beyond.
Duration of Study & Credit Load
The programme is scheduled to be completed in sixteen (16) months. Students will complete 39 credits for the award of the degree.
In order to pursue the Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching, candidates must satisfy the School’s requirements for normal matriculation:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A GPA of at least 2.0 from an accredited institution
- Completed the Application Form
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Educational Certificates
- Two References
- A Personal Statement of Intent
- Passport size Photograph
- Application Fee
Prospective student, you will be interviewed by a panel from the Graduate School of Education as part of the application process.
Courses in the Programme
Orientation into Documentation (0 credits)
Foundations of Education (Philosophy, Sociology and History) (3 credits)
Introduction to Special Education (3 credits)
Fundamentals of Teaching (3 credits)
In School Immersion Part 1 (3 credits)
Foundations of Education (Psychology) (3 credits)
Introduction to Assessment (3 credits)
Leading and Managing the Learning Environment (3 credits)
Adult Methodology Facilitation (3 credits)
Introduction to Curriculum Studies (3 credits)
Methodology and Technology Integration (3 Credits)
Reflective Practicum: In School Immersion 2 and Action Learning (9 credits)
Tuition & Fees
Tuition is charged per credit and the rates subject to change annually. University fees are added to tuition for miscellaneous items and they are compulsory. Students may pay in full or per credit per semester.