M.Ed Special Education
The programme is designed to equip teachers and other professionals with core knowledge and an array of specialized skills for addressing the needs of students with exceptionalities. It is also designed to empower educators for professional practice and responsible leadership. The mission is to embrace learners with a wide range of learning needs, including severe disabilities from varying social, economic and cultural back-grounds.
As a result of training the teacher will be able to:
- Identify the specific learning problems of learners
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in content areas of special education
- Develop specific lessons to focus on the learning needs of children with diverse abilities
- Create learner-centred teaching strategies in specific content areas
- Describe the role of special education and the special education teacher in maximizing potentials to the highest level that is possible
- Show appreciation for team effort and collaboration, and work to foster these with related and resource personnel to ensure student achievement
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in counselling approaches and strategies for working with parents and families
- Engage in disciplined inquiry with the exploration of five broad models for research in special education, namely: literature review, case study, programme evaluation, experimental study and classroom-based action research
- Advocate for and on behalf of individuals with exceptionalities to enable social, educational and personal benefits comparable to that of their peers without exceptionalities
- Reflect on self and gain in-depth understanding of the values and ethics that are desirable to strengthen the professional role of the teacher for community building and development
- Must have a valid bachelor's degree in any field and may be:-
- Trained Graduate - degree with teacher training
- Pre-trained Graduate - degree without teacher training.
- Official Transcripts from all previously attended colleges and Universities.
- Proof of bachelor's degree. A notarized copy of your degree is required.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons who can attest to the applicant's performance and attitude to work.
- Any other qualifications that may be considered appropriate by the University College Admissions Board.
- Current Employment record.
- Written one page paper of intent and purpose of training in Special Education and professional Development Goals (250 words typed)