M.Sc. in School Counselling & Social Work
In order to prepare students, parents and the society to meet and effectively deal with the existing societal challenges, The Mico University College has undertaken to train change agents. This programme intends to prepare individuals to be school counselors and social agents who will be well informed and motivated.
Upon completion of the Master of Science in School Counselling and Social Work, graduates will be able to:
- Effectively engage in counseling children, their families and other individuals and groups
- Use knowledge and skills gained through research, lectures, seminars and practical experiences to implement counselling programmes in schools and communities
- Model and display a high level of professionalism through effective communication, team work, confidentiality, empathy and personal development
- Assess, interpret and treat students, recognize and respect differences in culture, values, and backgrounds
- Explore contemporary issues in child therapy and be equipped with a sound under-standing of child and adolescent development
- Provide leadership to schools and community agencies in the areas of child development through: Professional development, workshops, Seminars , Conferences, etc
- Implement programmes to address the emotional, physical, social and financial needs of children, parents and others
The Master of Science Degree in School Counselling and Social Work is designed to equip school counsellors with the skills and knowledge which are relevant locally, regionally and globally.
Participants will be equipped with the necessary strategies and competencies to effectively impact children and adults holistically, bringing about meaningful changes to their lives.
Candidates will be exposed to the diversity and uniqueness of students, clients, their families and communities to foster their empowerment.
- A completed admission application form
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
- Proof of valid bachelor's degree (Certificate)
- Two letters of recommendation. One should be from a School Administrator, who can attest to the applicant's performance and attitude to work
- A Personal Statement of Purpose / Development Goals that is typed, doublespaced, font size 12 and around 250 words
- Prospective students will be invited to participate in an interview
- All successful applicants will be expected to attend mandatory counseling sessions with a certified counsellor. Report from the session will form a part of the candidates' record and profile